Movie Review: The Hate U Give

Hey-o peoples!

So, pretty recently I saw the movie (one of them, anyway) that everyone's been freaking out over: The Hate U Give.

In true book nerd fashion, I read the book first and I ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT. Starr is an amazing, extremely well-developed character, and the book is so honest and real and amazing. I cannot recommend it more!

Now, the movie.

Synopsis (courtesy of Google): Starr Carter is constantly switching between two worlds -- the poor, mostly black neighborhood where she lives and the wealthy, mostly white prep school that she attends. The uneasy balance between these worlds is soon shattered when she witnesses the fatal shooting of her childhood best friend at the hands of a police officer. Facing pressure from all sides of the community, Starr must find her voice and decide to stand up for what's right.

Who's in it (main characters/supporting main characters)?

Starr Carter (Main) - Amandla Stenberg
Image result for amandla stenberg the hate u give
Photo courtesy The Daily Herald

Khalil (supporting main) - Algee Smith
Image result for algee smith the hate u give
Photo courtesy Zimbio

Chris (supporting) - KJ Appa
Image result for kj apa the hate u give
Photo courtesy Popsugar

Kenya (supporting) - Dominique Fishback
Image result for dominique fishback the hate u give
Photo courtesy AJC

Seven Carter (supporting main) - Lamar Johnson
Image result for lamar johnson the hate u give
Photo courtesy Epic Reads

Sekani Carter (supporting) - TJ Wright
Image result for tj wright the hate u give

Uncle Carlos (supporting) - Common
Image result for common the hate u give
Photo Courtesy The Hollywood Reporter

King - Anthony Mackie
Image result for anthony mackie the hate u give
Photo Courtesy Takes on Tech

Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

My comments: Two words: Holy. WHOA. This movie is amazing! It's one of the best book-to-film adaptations I've seen yet, and that's kind of saying something here. They skipped and added a few scenes, but the ones they skipped were scenes that didn't much affect the story itself, and the ones they added improved upon it.

I wouldn't allow myself to watch any previews/trailers before watching it so that I could avoid seeing anything they'd changed, or even the actors that were in it. But that's just me. Obviously you're free to watch them first if you want. 🙂

Would I recommend this movie? Um, heck yes! It ranks pretty high on the list of  book-to-film adaptations, and even higher on my list of favorite movies. Go watch it right now!

That's all for today, folks! I will be doing some more movie reviews, and possibly book reviews, so watch out for those. Anyway, thanks for reading, and leave a comment if you liked it (which I hope you did)! :D

Comments